Global Leadership Summit 2016 Notes (#gls16)
Sunday, August 14, 2016
I recently attended with many members of Christ Lutheran Church the Willow Creek Association (WCA)'s Global Leadership Summit 2016 (#gls16). I experienced it via remote campus video streaming at Journey Community Church in La Mesa.
My full notes that I took are available in PDF if you are interested.
Each speaker had a great depth of insight, wisdom, suggestions, etc. Here is one quote or thought from each one of them:
- It is cruel to not tell the employee how they are doing. - BILL HYBELS
- Everyone knows the plan, the status, and areas that need special attention. - ALAN MULALLY (wikipedia)
- All lives are equal and work on behalf of others. - MELINDA GATES
- We put a . (period) at the end of our title but God puts a , (comma). - BISHOP T.D. JAKES
- Customers want: product is perfect, you serve them timely, and that you care. - HORST SCHULZE
- The four skills of EQ (Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Management). - DR. TRAVIS BRADBERRY
- Cultural Mapping is critical to understand if you are working with other cultures or countires. - ERIN MEYER
- Row row row your boat: Drifting is not going to get you there. - WILFREDO DE JESÚS
- When interviewing a top candidate you need to get them out of the standard interview scenario and see how they react with people. - PATRICK LENCIONI
- There will always to be more good ideas than there is capacity to execute. - CHRIS MCCHESNEY
- Your negative “TAPES” (playing in your head) hold you back, they need to be put on hold. - DANIELLE STRICKLAND
- FAITH is from God, FEAR is from Satan. - JOSSY CHACKO
- People have uphill hopes and downhill habits. - JOHN C. MAXWELL
In reviewing the notes before posting this, I think the following big ideas are worth highlighting:
- Everyone wins when leaders get better.
- Leadership is moving people (energizing them) to a preferred future (from here to there).
- Deal with reality and trust by work together. Move RED to YELLOW to GREEN status reporting.
- When in empowering: #1.) Build their character. #2.) Empower through relationships; and #3.) Agree to the right outcomes with measurable metrics.
- Are some people better team players? Yes, and they (universally?) have these values: Humble, Hungry, and Smart.
- Work on only 1-3 Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) at one time.
I've also attended in the past and notes for 2014 are available if you are interested.
If you have any comments, questions, thoughts, etc. on any of the topics in this post then please let me know.