I am about 30 days into my complete migration from the my old TabletPC the Toshiba M400 to the ThinkPad X61. Thanks to Marc Orchant and James Kendrick for their early suggestions on some migration questions I had.
The big changes include Vista Ultimate, Office 2007, OneNote 2007, Visio 2007, and Project 2007. I also have only been adding applications as I need them, this included: Firefox, ClipMate, Newsgator, PDF-X Change Lite 3, IBM SameTime, and MindManager Pro 7.
Things I like about this new setup:
- Form factor - smaller and easier to pickup and move
- Performance - much faster processor and other internals
- Screen - very good even outside
- Sleep/Hibernate - this is extremely fast and works every time without errors
- ThinkVantage utilities - well thought out functionality wise and useful
- Battery performance - easily double from the M400
- Keyboard - there is something special about the ThinkPad keyboard
Things I'm still getting use to:
- Smudges on the X61 screen - you have to clean it a lot
- Differences between Windows XP and Vista when you want to do a power user task (like TCP/IP configs or change wireless networks)
- Missing the trackpad
- Not having an integrated DVD/CD (haven't needed it but it makes me a little nervous)
All in all I am really enjoying the X61, Vista Start Menu Search (it works very well!), and Office 2007 especially Outlook & OneNote integration.
Only real downside at the moment is that my organization has not yet completely figured out how to enable VPN access. The problem is an integration issue between: Vista, Cisco, and DOD CAC PKI. Hopefully it will get resolved soon and then everything will be working great.