As a "new" iPad owner, one of issues outlined as a possible negative impact of having a Retina display was that application memory storage was going to be much bigger. Since my plan was to move from iPad 2 with 16-GB to the new iPad with 16-GB, I was a little concerned since I seemed to have between 500-MBs to 1-GB free.
So, after a couple of recent updates where I noticed "Retina display' updates listed in the new feature list, I decided to try and track file sizes as updates were happening. Here is the first sample of applications updated:
And this is the summary of increases for these apps:
- Stitcher v4.8.1 (13.9-MB) went to v4.8.2 (14.1-MB)
- Wikipanion v18.104.22.168 (2.5-MB) went v1.7.6 (4.9-MB)
- Khan Academy v1.01 (1.8-MB) went to v1.1.1 (1.9-MB)
- iThoughtsHD v3.3 (7.1-MB) went to v3.4 (12.7-MB)
- The Weather Channel (TWC ) v2.3.2 (8.2-MB) went to v3.2.0 (97.7-MB)
My second sampling included (less than a week ago):
With the following analysis:
- USA Today for iPad v2.0.8 (3.7-MB) went to v2.09 (6.6-MB)
- Redbox v2.4.0 (2.4-MB) went to v2.4.1 (2.8-MB)
- Bible v3.8.1. (8.6-MB) went to v4.0 (15.9-MB)
- Where's My Water v1.4.1 (20.8-MB) went to v1.5.0 (38.1-MB)
- Google+ v1.0.10 (17.4-MB) went to v1.0.15 (17.7-MB)
- iThoughtsHD v3.4 (12.7-MB) went to v3.5 (12.6-MB)
- Toodledo - To Do List v2.1.19 (5.5-MB) went to v2.2.0 (19.5-MB)
So, it does appears that in general 'new' iPad applications are larger, and based on my sampling it looks like about 1.5x larger on average. Most of the applications I tracked are all new Retina-savvy applications, but they also have other upgraded capabilities, new features, fixes, etc. As the saying goes "correlation does not mean causation."
It was interesting that the iThoughtsHD most recent update went down in size (but did increase when it added "Retina display" feature). Also the Google+ application is not Retina-savvy per the application notes but it did have a small increase between versions.
The impact to my own iPad seems relatively minor since I seem to have between one to two GBs free (mostly changing based on music or video uploads) since moving from iPad 2 to new iPad. I'll keep monitoring and will do an update post if something significant turns up.