I recently attended with many members of Christ Lutheran Church the Willow Creek Association (WCA)'s Global Leadership Summit 2016 (#gls16). I experienced it via remote campus video streaming at Journey Community Church in La Mesa.
Each speaker had a great depth of insight, wisdom, suggestions, etc. Here is one quote or thought from each one of them:
- It is cruel to not tell the employee how they are doing. - BILL HYBELS
- Everyone knows the plan, the status, and areas that need special attention. - ALAN MULALLY (wikipedia)
- All lives are equal and work on behalf of others. - MELINDA GATES
- We put a . (period) at the end of our title but God puts a , (comma). - BISHOP T.D. JAKES
- Customers want: product is perfect, you serve them timely, and that you care. - HORST SCHULZE
- The four skills of EQ (Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Management). - DR. TRAVIS BRADBERRY
- Cultural Mapping is critical to understand if you are working with other cultures or countires. - ERIN MEYER
- Row row row your boat: Drifting is not going to get you there. - WILFREDO DE JESÚS
- When interviewing a top candidate you need to get them out of the standard interview scenario and see how they react with people. - PATRICK LENCIONI
- There will always to be more good ideas than there is capacity to execute. - CHRIS MCCHESNEY
- Your negative “TAPES” (playing in your head) hold you back, they need to be put on hold. - DANIELLE STRICKLAND
- FAITH is from God, FEAR is from Satan. - JOSSY CHACKO
- People have uphill hopes and downhill habits. - JOHN C. MAXWELL
In reviewing the notes before posting this, I think the following big ideas are worth highlighting:
- Everyone wins when leaders get better.
- Leadership is moving people (energizing them) to a preferred future (from here to there).
- Deal with reality and trust by work together. Move RED to YELLOW to GREEN status reporting.
- When in empowering: #1.) Build their character. #2.) Empower through relationships; and #3.) Agree to the right outcomes with measurable metrics.
- Are some people better team players? Yes, and they (universally?) have these values: Humble, Hungry, and Smart.
- Work on only 1-3 Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) at one time.
If you have any comments, questions, thoughts, etc. on any of the topics in this post then please let me know.